httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: reverse proxy wishlist
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 23:25:35 GMT
On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 3, 2015, at 11:09 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > My personal wish list is that we eliminate module bloat by coalescing
> > alternative "standard" implementations into a single module again in
> > 2.next, and not just limited to lbmethod, but also the core socache
> > and slotmem providers. Most stock/core implementations shouldn't
> > change if a user wants to plug in 'yet another' option, but there is
> really
> > no excuse for us to map so many ldobjects and text pages into the
> > memory map of a given process, when the actual program text page
> > of each is a few hundred opcodes, max.
> >

> Not following you there... what do you mean? You mention the
> lbmethods; do you mean instead of having each method be its
> own module, making them all one?

Not specific to lbmethods but yes, one mod_lbmethod_core.so provider
of the basic set of 3-4 methods that right now eat up a lot of 64kb process
page mappings for no particular benefit.  The builder could even decide
these
are compiled-in to the base httpd.  We don't dismiss the loadable approach,
we simply decide this subset is effectively baked, and then use the loadable
lbmethod to extend yet another experimental/dynamic/evolving method, from
the ASF or third parties.