httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade Summary
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2015 21:12:12 GMT
On 12/08/2015 02:30 AM, Bert Huijben wrote:
> The TLS and H2C upgrades both begin in one form and end in a different form.
> Websockets are kind of different in that they require a bad request response
> in a specific case. I'm not sure in which protocol this error needs to be
> send though.

For WebSocket, any upgrade failures have to be sent in the original
HTTP/1.1 protocol using HTTP error codes.

WebSocket is different from TLS/h2c because, conceptually, you're
upgrading the connection to a specific request target (a ws:// URL). The
"response" sent back to the client after the upgrade (if you want to
call it a response) is simply the establishment of a WebSocket
connection for that URL.

--Jacob