httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Folini <christian.fol...@netnea.com>
Subject Re: reverse proxy wishlist
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2015 12:19:07 GMT
On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 11:01:54AM +0000, Tim Bannister wrote:
> ProxyErrorOverride is a good starting point. Often I want to let through only some error
pages: the ones explicitly coded to be shown to this website's visitors. If the backend fails
and produces an unstyled page of jargon and diagnostics, I want httpd to intervene.

I'd like to follow up on that. The last time I checked,
ProxyErrorOverride was silent in the logs. A notice- or warning-level
message when it intervenes would be helpful in many situations.  The
typical conversation around ProxyErrorOverride starts with "It's the
error page of the proxy, so the proxy must have caused the error." That
discussion could be cut short with a log message stating
~"ProxyErrorOverride applied after receiving status XXX from the
backend."

> The application could signal to httpd that its response has a user-friendly body via
a special header.

I thought about this before. I think a more general, more flexible
approach would be very helpful. In the end it boils down to something
like rewrite rules on the response.
You can to this with ModSecurity, but that is too late for
ProxyErrorOverride AFAICT.

Ahoj,

Christian Folini

--