httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interesting data point
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:17:29 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 3:35 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> If it is that easy to move 202k sites (111k net) to an entirely different
> server, it is supposed to be much simpler for the users to move within the
> same server - from their 2.2.x to 2.4.current, isn't it?  And if it is that
> easy to move away, then for 2.2 to 2.4 migration to continue to be painful
> will surely hurt httpd adoption, down the road.

I don't think the numbers necessarily speak to the difficulty in
upgrading (or switching).  There are
some people who won't switch until absolutely forced, and others who
have new requirements
or are just more liberal in making a change.

I personally do not really see a lot of bad feedback about 2.2 to 2.4
migration. Maybe there would be a good perspective from e.g. one of
the debian maintainers, because their users in some way would have
been "forcibly" dragged though it to stay current on the OS.