httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question about "Trailer" header field
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 23:07:59 GMT
Hi Christophe,

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM, Christophe JAILLET
<christophe.jaillet@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Severals places in httpd seems to deal with RFC2616 13.5.1 End-to-end and
> Hop-by-hop Headers.
>    Line 1211 of cache_util.c [1]
>    Line 1311 and 1562 of mod_proxy_http.c [2]
>    Line 3567 of proxy_util.c [3]
>

> 1) [1] is an exact copy of what is said in RFC2616 13.5.1
> However, I wonder if the Trailers here, should not be a Trailer (without s)
> Trailers (with a s) does not seem to a header field, just a keyword for TE.
> Is this a typo in the RFC?

I think it's rather a typo in the code, the relevant field is:

(Note: the code in cache_util does not seem to handle the hop-by-hop
headers contained in the Connection header, like eg.
ap_proxy_clear_connection() does.)

> 2) In [2] and [3], do some other headers should be listed and removed? (just
> as in [1])

mod_proxy_http handles the response headers only, hence possibly not
exactly the same list as mod_cache (but with
ap_proxy_clear_connection() though).
Tranfer-Encoding is probably special too, since it may be required by
the output filters to determine how to forward the response.

> I have not found anything equivalent and explicit in RFC7230 and co.

RFC7230 Section 4.1.2 (referring to sections 4.3 and 4.4) is the
reference now (obsoleting RFC2616).

Regards,
Yann.