httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1715859 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/include/httpd.h
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:07:53 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
> > You are right, calling out "This implementation provides ASCII-ordering
> > of strings (EBCDIC text is also ASCII ordered on those platforms)"
> > might have been clearer?  Eric, what phrasing would make sense to you
> > as a user/maintainer of the httpd EBCDIC port?
>
> "Provides C/POSIX strcasecmp ordering, for alpha-numerics only"?

Well, we are sorting the entire ASCII so I guess we can drop "for
alpha-numerics only".

What we want to warn the user is that the sortation of extended characters
outside of
the normal C/POSIX range is undefined (not rejected), and that extended
characters
are not compared case-insensitively.

For extra confusion note the function says next to nothing in the XL
reference;

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxbd00/rsrncp.htm?lang=en

but this function goes into some of the dirty details...

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.1.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxbd00/risasc.htm

I found a nice summary of the state of EBCDIC for c programming over here;

http://www.longpelaexpertise.com/ezine/LostinTranslation1.php