httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interesting data point
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 19:43:12 GMT
On 11/12/2015 12:35 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> If it is that easy to move 202k sites (111k net) to an entirely
> different server, it is supposed to be much simpler for the users to
> move within the same server - from their 2.2.x to 2.4.current, isn't
> it?  And if it is that easy to move away, then for 2.2 to 2.4 migration
> to continue to be painful will surely hurt httpd adoption, down the road.

I think this oversimplifies things. In my experience the decision to
switch servers or upgrade versions involves a lot more than how "easy"
or "hard" the upgrade is.

If (hypothetically) nginx meets a new use case that Apache doesn't, it
doesn't matter how much easier it would have been to upgrade Apache. I'm
going to switch straight from Apache 2.2 to nginx, even if it's very
difficult to do.

If I am perfectly happy (or more appropriately: my management chain is
perfectly happy) with Apache 2.2, it doesn't matter how easy or hard it
is to switch to 2.4. I'm not going to spend any money/effort to switch;
I'm just going to follow the 2.2.x line. (And it looks like 2.2.31 added
a lot of great functionality.)

So I don't want to downplay your comment -- you may be absolutely
correct, and maybe it is hard to upgrade -- but adoption numbers alone
don't necessarily tell you much about the *difficulty* of said adoption.
It probably tells you more about the user-perceived bang for buck.

--Jacob