httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Apache getting too patchy?
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2015 17:15:17 GMT
On 10/29/2015 11:05 PM, Christophe JAILLET wrote:
> To give you some ideas of what can be looked at easily by new comers:

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for the list! Is there any way to get these into the STATUS, or
into a document that the STATUS points to? (The current "Contributors
looking for a mission" section tries to give a list of all the things
that _can_ be done, but as a newbie I'm looking for "here's what the
devs _want_ you to focus on for this release".)

> EASY
> ====
>     - Speedup/cleanup code
>          --> See http://svn.apache.org/r1701717

It might be "easy" for me to micro-optimize sections of code, but I
don't really have the experience yet to know which optimizations are
actually useful and which are just noise. Do you have a test setup with
ApacheBench/something else that I can attempt to emulate? Or known
hotspots that you're wanting additional eyes on, maybe in a certain
module or MPM?

> Hoping these few lines can help or can be a starting point for new comers.

These are very helpful, at least to me. Knowing what the dev team would
like more hands on "right now" is much nicer than grepping through TODOs.

--Jacob