httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1715938 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/cache/cache_util.c
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 16:09:06 GMT
On 24 Nov 2015, at 5:21 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> For these types of paths, where we use a switch/case against
> the 1st char of the token, the real reason why we used that
> impl was to avoid the (expected) expensive string comparison.
>
> This is really no longer an issue. Sure, we could still use
> this "fast path" short-circuit, but even that is non-optimal.
> For the below, what we really should be testing is:
>
> 	if (!ap_casecmpstr(token+1, "ublic")) {
>
> for example.
>
> Sooooo the question is: Do we remove these silly fast-paths
> that no longer make sense[1] or optimize for the "we know the
> 1st char" case ala the above?

A further optimisation - in many cases the fast path is really a case sensitive string comparison,
given that the vast majority of the time the case being used is the case quoted in the spec.

In other words, while mAx-AgE is valid, it is almost always max-age.

Does it make sense to do a case sensitive comparison first, and then fall back to case insensitive?

Regards,
Graham
—