httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: 2.4.18?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2015 07:11:38 GMT
On 17/11/2015 22:31, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 17 Nov 2015, at 2:18 PM, Noel Butler <noel.butler@ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> You run into complacency dangers if you end up in a "release very
>> often" mode, take phpmyadmin as one example, most admins I know gave
>> up updating it, because there were updates every week, sometimes
>> every few days, Marc has accepted this is a serious problem and unless
>> a critical security bug is found, , normal bug fixes releases will be
>> only once per month if need be, take dovecot, not so bad now days but
>> in years gone by, it too released weekly or bi-weekly and a lot of
>> people got pissed and stopped updating it too.
>
> I’m not understanding your point - you’re saying normal bug fix
> releases once a month is fine, but us doing so after 5 weeks isn’t
> fine?

absolutely not! I personally only update  phpmyadmin once, on initial
major release, because I (like many others) were so of updating it every
few days .

> We’ve just released HTTP/2 support for the very first time. People
> want to use it, people want to see problems in it fixed. I don’t see
> the number of releases as excessive at all.

You obviously dont manage very many public facing servers then, I have
that advantage of looking at it from both sides, when I do testing - I
test based on what sys admins want.

--
If you have the urge to reply to all rather than reply to list, you best
read  http://members.ausics.net/qwerty/