httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: mod_http2 version number
Date Thu, 08 Oct 2015 12:08:27 GMT
Well, it is used only in one INFO log statement on startup...

There are now several people who participated in early trials if mod_h2 and gave really useful
feedback and found bugs. Without a version number of the module being visible in the log somewhere,
it would make this kind of tests much more difficult.

While the module is experimental, I'd like to continue giving the adventurous types early
experience versions. That way we can gather useful feedback between release cycles.

Once we leave the experimental mode and merge all tighter to the core, this version number
becomes meaningless and should go.

//Stefan

> Am 08.10.2015 um 13:59 schrieb Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>:
>
> Can we get rid of this?  The only meaningful version is the httpd version.  (I guess
mod_ssl still pretends to have a meaningful version number.)

> I could see a potential use of a separate version number in the very short term to indicate
API breakages in this "experimental" component that we couldn't with an MMN Major change,
but then the version number has to be updated following certain rules and the purpose has
to be well described to module authors, and module authors mucking with internals of this
should be following httpd dev closely anyway, at least until it is not experimental.