httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@gbiv.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1710723 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES modules/cache/cache_util.h
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:17:45 GMT
> On Oct 26, 2015, at 11:45 PM, jailletc36@apache.org wrote:
>
> Author: jailletc36
> Date: Tue Oct 27 06:45:03 2015
> New Revision: 1710723

> Log:
> RFC2616 defines #rules as:
>   #rule
>      A construct "#" is defined, similar to "*", for defining lists of
>      elements. The full form is "<n>#<m>element" indicating at least
>      <n> and at most <m> elements, each separated by one or more commas
>      (",") and OPTIONAL linear white space (LWS). This makes the usual
>      form of lists very easy; a rule such as
>         ( *LWS element *( *LWS "," *LWS element ))
>      can be shown as
>         1#element
>
> It also defines Linear White Space (LWS) as:
>   LWS            = [CRLF] 1*( SP | HT )
>

> The actual implementation only accepts SP (Space) and not HT (Horizontal Tab) when parsing
cache related header fields (i.e. "Vary", "Cache-Control" and "Pragma")

Well, to be more accurate: RFC7230 defines these (2616 no longer applies) and
the original algorithm did handle HT.  My bet is that someone screwed up an
automated TAB -> two space conversion and the code change got lost in the noise.

Your fix looks right, though.

....Roy