httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jacob Champion <champio...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is Apache getting too patchy?
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 16:51:43 GMT
On 10/24/2015 08:49 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Thoughts? Comments?

Jim,

I'm somewhat on the outside looking in, as an httpd newbie. But my
standard experience (it's happened two or three times now) is this:

1) Non-trivial patch is proposed to the list with calls for
discussion/debate.
2) Nothing happens.
3) List is pinged for comments.
4) Silence.
5) Patch author either gives up or pings relentlessly until...
6) ...patch is applied directly to trunk without discussion.

This being a volunteer project, I don't actually mind steps 1-5 so much.
You're busy people, and my patches shouldn't be priority one for anyone.
I'm more concerned about step 6, where conversations wither on the vine
in favor of just applying the patch and seeing what happens. I think
that could contribute to the "cruft instead of cohesion" that you're seeing.

I'd rather not feel like I'm just annoying dev@ until you submit my
stuff -- I want to *talk* about it, and improve the server.

HTH,
--Jacob