httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [Patch] Async write completion for the full connection filter stack
Date Mon, 05 Oct 2015 14:32:13 GMT
On 05 Oct 2015, at 1:13 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why suspend a filter rather than the calling handler (on EAGAIN/EWOULDBLOCK)?

Primarily because there are many filters, but only one handler. What I have in mind is combining
an async bandwidth-limitation filter with an async handler. Right now you can’t do that,
and you should be able to, that’s the point of the filter stack.

> It seems that suspending the handlers would avoid rewriting them as filters.
> Or is your plan to go for something like (mod_)serf?

Suspending the handler is an option, but it’s less than ideal if the handler suspends the
connection while there is data buffered in the filter stack. In this case data writes will
be delayed until the source of the data pushes more data through after the connection is woken
up again. Ideally outbound data should be pulled out the stack, not pushed into it.

Regards,
Graham
—