httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1706275 - /httpd/httpd/trunk/modules/ssl/ssl_engine_io.c
Date Wed, 07 Oct 2015 20:32:10 GMT
On 07 Oct 2015, at 7:46 PM, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ruediger.pluem@vodafone.com>
wrote:

> I guess we are talking of different things. During the initial handshake (client or server)
we never hand back
> control to the event part of the MPM. We never use ssl_filter_write and ssl_io_filter_output
as this is only used for data we want to encrypt on the connection. During the handshake we
deal directly with the core output filter.
> We are just synchronous here. And I think this is not a big deal as the amount of data
that needs to be transferred here is low and buffered by the socket buffer anyway. So we would
not really notice the difference between synchronous and asynchronous since the socket is
not blocking / says its writable.

This is probably where we’re going wrong.

With mod_ssl non blocking behaviour is an all-or-nothing deal. We must follow all of openssl’s
instructions to the letter, otherwise we’ll hang. We can’t sometimes be synchronous and
sometimes not. Accidentally waiting to be ready to write when we actually need to be waiting
to read is easy to get away with, because almost always we are ready to write. The opposite
however isn’t true. If we accidentally wait to be readable when openssl wanted us to tell
when it’s writable we can very much hang with the client not sending anything to trigger
that read (why would it, it’s expecting to receive something).

Regards,
Graham
—