httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1706669 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: ./ include/ modules/http/ modules/ssl/ server/ server/mpm/event/ server/mpm/motorz/ server/mpm/simple/
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2015 17:56:31 GMT

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 1:29 PM, Graham Leggett <> wrote:
> On 06 Oct 2015, at 7:00 PM, Yann Ylavic <> wrote:
>> Yet another filter which does not remove itself after the EOS, and
>> destroys the EOR bucket while still using *r after.
> I am wondering if the EOR bucket is a suboptimal way to clean up after ourselves.
> The MPM itself is in a position to know when the filter buffers are all empty and it
is safe to delete a request pool. I am imagining a “shutdown set”, which contains the
pools which have been marked as ready to shut down. If there is a pool in the shutdown set,
walk the outstanding filters and look for any filters whose pools are descendants of that
pool, and check if the filters are empty. If so, apr_pool_destroy() and we’re done. If the
“shutdown set” is empty, do nothing.
> Instead of creating an EOR bucket, we call an MPM API that says “add this pool to the
shutdown set”, and then forget about it.
> Legacy MPMs fall back to EOR behaviour, but we deprecate it.
> I think the above is a far safer approach than assuming filters will “do the right

Basic idea seems sound... +1

View raw message