httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: proposed backport, mod_h2 github release
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:55:09 GMT
On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 10:20 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Stefan Eissing <
> stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>
>> I just submitted my first backport STATUS update. Hope I did everything
>> ok, otherwise please let me know.
>>
>> For backporting mod_h2 to 2.4.x, I decided to make it in two parts: one
>> is the patch to core/mod_ssl that introduces Protocols. That is now in
>> STATUS.
>>
>> Next would be a patch for modules/http2 which is basically all source
>> files, changes in build and docs. Since there are many new files, does it
>> sense to make a patch for that or do we handle that differently?
>>
>> Also: since there were some people testing the github releases in their
>> own setups, I thought it helpful to let them test the core patch and mod_h2
>> as it currently is. I made a new release of mod_h2 on github which
>> basically downloads httpd 2.4.16, applies the core patch and builds the
>> mod_h2 copy against it. Hopefully some people take it out for a spin and
>> report back
>

> Looking forward to reviewing the code this week!
>
> At the moment, I'm dubious that we are going to be able to meet the
> criteria that modules built for httpd 2.4.x will continue to function
> correctly without recompilation under 2.4+refactoring, but that's an
> absolute requirement of our versioning promises.  In such a case, 2.6.x (or
> 3.0.0) would become a top priority.  So there's that to consider.
>
> I'd like to RM a 2.5.0-alpha release on Friday 11 Sept, that would put the
> mod_h2 + refactoring into the hands of bleeding edge adopters, ahead of the
> ApacheCon Core in Budapest.  We make no promises about the API between
> 2.5.0 and 2.5.x and users are expected to recompile their modules while
> working on that bleed branch.

Moving feedback back to the backport considerations thread...

> > Btw. if you review the core_protocols.patch and find anything
preventing a backport, please let me know asap. I personally would like to
avoid a repeat of the ALPN back porting stop due to lack of time to find a
proper solution.

Of course!  The underlying guideline is that all modules built for
2.4.16, blissfully unaware of the 'future' Protocols schema, still "just
work" without recompilation or reconfiguration.  If this proves impossible,
the backport solution is probably to keep H2Protocols in place on any
legacy module, and reserve the generic Protocols for trunk and future
releases.

ASF mod_ftp is an example of an alternate protocol provider that (as of
trunk flavor) should still just work.  It happens to be the most convenient
for me to compare, but is by no means the only example.  I have a couple
patches to integrate before proposing a mod_ftp 1.0.1 tag for a release
vote, but expect to immediately afterwards start to integrate the proposed
Protocols behavior in httpd trunk, and be ahead of the game this round
rather than behind in the case of 2.4.x :)