httpd-dev mailing list archives

From NormW <no...@gknw.net>
Subject Re: modules\http2 - structure initializing.
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:41:01 GMT
Whinnnie!
(eq Equine 'Thanks')
On 27/08/2015 7:31 AM, Stefan Eissing wrote:
> I will apply the proposed change tomorrow. keep the old horse happy.
>
> //stefan
>
>> Am 26.08.2015 um 23:18 schrieb NormW <normw@gknw.net>:
>>
>> G/Morning I think,
>> As Bill correctly guesses in a following mail, 'my' OS is NetWare and it's the standard
compiler GK has been using for years to build Apache releases.

>> And that (Metrowerks CW) (AFAIK) is a C89 legend.
>>
>> As I noted in my mail, I would hardly expect to hold back tomorrows http/2 protocol
for so dated a horse as NetWare, and if you introduced coding or functions that NetWare's
compiler doesn't support then it's 'game-over' for the old war horse as far as http2 is concerned.
For the moment however I merely suggest an opinion that initializing structures via a list
of individual assignments is a better form to read the code than what is used at present,
and a small, almost irrelevant side effect of which is that, for now at least, my compiler
can keep building http2 for NetWare, with no functional change to the code.
>> Regards,
>> Norm
>>
>>> On 27/08/2015 1:26 AM, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>>> Hi Norm,
>>>
>>> I think these type of assignments are part of the C90 standard. I am not sure
we want to support a compiler that cannot cope with that, but I may be to green to know that.
What platform is this on exactly?

>>> //Stefan

structures (no idea if there's a technical term for it) in place of the list method now used,
e.g struct x = { , , , }.

list method, whereas the method portrayed in the diff is totally acceptable to it.

are not 'visible', and one has to locate the struct definition itself to see what is being
set to what. The method as illustrated by the patch is clearer (to my mind) and not affected
by the order of the elements within the primary structure.

a struct was changed to the _suggested_ method, with the primary struct being created by a
memset(); perhaps that's a similar change needed in these cases also?