httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Kaspar Brand <httpd-dev.2...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1672014 - in /httpd/httpd/trunk: CHANGES server/config.c
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:31:49 GMT
On 14.8.15 20:01, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM, Kaspar Brand <httpd-dev.2014@velox.ch> wrote:
>> The other option to fix the problem which originally triggered this
>> investigation would be to simply replace "cmd->server" in
>> ssl_engine_config.c:836 with "NULL", though it would only fix this
>> particular case, and not help with other places with the same underlying
>> problem.
>
> What are the different scenarios that are bad in 2.4? I stumbled on
> this thread on a search about a related topic.
>
> I think this is the immediate one, but I really don't like the idea of
> using the default loglevel there:
>
> LogLevel crit
> <virtualhost *:443>
>   SSLSomethingThatWouldWarn
>   LogLevel warn
> </virtualhost>
>
> What are the other variants?

That's basically the pattern I meant. With "other places with the same
underlying problem", I was referring to other modules which use
cmd->server for logging during ap_process_config_tree walking (and
before ap_fixup_virtual_hosts is called).

There are a number of "ap_log_error(..., cmd->server, ...)" occurrences
in mod_env, mod_ldap, mod_proxy, mod_authnz_ldap, mod_auth_digest,
mod_file_cache, mod_rewrite, and mod_alias, and in particular when they
are using APLOG_WARNING, these messages are not logged unless there's a
preceding LogLevel statement in the respective VirtualHost block.

server/core.c on the other hand also has a few places where this problem
occurs, here's an example:

LogLevel warn
<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName example.net
  DefaultType text/plain
</VirtualHost>

The "Ignoring deprecated use of DefaultType..." message is only output
if an additional "LogLevel warn" statement in the VirtualHost block is
inserted (which must appear before the DefaultType statement).

Kaspar