httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: proposed backport, mod_h2 github release
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:08:14 GMT
?? I can't quite grok what you mean:
	I'm dubious that we are going to be able to meet the
	criteria that modules built for httpd 2.4.x will continue to
	function correctly without recompilation under 2.4+refactoring

could you explain??

It seems to me that considering that the h2 module on Github was
specific to Apache 2.4, I don't see why we need to add delays or
processes to officially add http/2 support, via the h2 module, to
2.4.

The whole intent was always that h2 would provide a feedback loop between
itself and 2.6/3.0 regarding re-architecturing some aspects, but that
doesn't mean we "withhold" http/2 from 2.4. Of course the h2 module
under 2.4 will be different from what is eventually in 2.6/3.0. But
so what?

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 11:20 AM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 8:44 AM, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
wrote:
> I just submitted my first backport STATUS update. Hope I did everything ok, otherwise
please let me know.

> For backporting mod_h2 to 2.4.x, I decided to make it in two parts: one is the patch
to core/mod_ssl that introduces Protocols. That is now in STATUS.

> Next would be a patch for modules/http2 which is basically all source files, changes
in build and docs. Since there are many new files, does it sense to make a patch for that
or do we handle that differently?

> Also: since there were some people testing the github releases in their own setups, I
thought it helpful to let them test the core patch and mod_h2 as it currently is. I made a
new release of mod_h2 on github which basically downloads httpd 2.4.16, applies the core patch
and builds the mod_h2 copy against it. Hopefully some people take it out for a spin and report
back

> Looking forward to reviewing the code this week!
>
> At the moment, I'm dubious that we are going to be able to meet the criteria that modules
built for httpd 2.4.x will continue to function correctly without recompilation under 2.4+refactoring,
but that's an absolute requirement of our versioning promises.  In such a case, 2.6.x (or
3.0.0) would become a top priority.  So there's that to consider.

> I'd like to RM a 2.5.0-alpha release on Friday 11 Sept, that would put the mod_h2 + refactoring
into the hands of bleeding edge adopters, ahead of the ApacheCon Core in Budapest.  We make
no promises about the API between 2.5.0 and 2.5.x and users are expected to recompile their
modules while working on that bleed branch.