httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: thread/mpm advice
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 15:12:36 GMT
Graham and Jim, thanks for the advice.

As to prefork: as long as APR has threads and mutex and all these fine things, I am pretty
certain the mod_h2 itself does not have a problem with prefork.

The concern I have is: if people use prefork to have code running which is not thread-safe,
that will not make it safe in mod_h2. Or if people use prefork as an indication to avoid mutex
and other sync helpers, they will be surprised.

I am just adding a WARNING log on startup (once) that says that mod_h2 in prefork might be
a source of unpleasant surprises. But I leave mod_h2 running.

//Stefan

> Am 09.06.2015 um 17:04 schrieb Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm>:
>
> On 09 Jun 2015, at 3:37 PM, Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that one uses mpm_prefork when threads are to be avoided. This
is not what mod_h2 is about and so I consider disabling the module in a prefork configuration.
My thinking: if threads are not a problem, why not run worker/event?

> Getting prefork to work would be a good thing.
>
> The prefork MPM is the “tank” MPM - regardless of what the client does, regardless
of what code is being spawned by httpd, any leak/crash affects that connection only.

> mod_h2 might not be fully featured or fully performant under prefork, but that’s fine
in theory.

> Regards,
> Graham
> —