httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SNI Host: header mismatch
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2015 15:56:50 GMT
On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Stefan Eissing
<stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de> wrote:
> Two things:
>
> 1. the minimal thing to fix the situation is to return 421 instead of 400. H2 clients
will then open a new TLS connection for the request host. I don't know if this breaks any
HTTP/1 clients, however it should not.

I think this should be OK, HTTP/1 clients are prepared to received
unknown error codes AFAICT.

> 2. Given that we answer not matching combinations with 421, the admin should be given
the opportunity to allow this via some directive. This makes it easier for her to do "anti-sharding"
for h2 clients.

> ap_matches_request_vhost() / ServerAlias is not the right choice, if I understand it
correctly, since the non-matching request is really intended for another vhost and not just
a using a fancy name for the real SNI one.

> If there were named SSL configurations, httpd could allow connection reuse for all vhosts
with the same SSL config. Alternatively, is there a good way to check that two vhosts use
the same certificate (key)? That could work as well.

That's why I (also) proposed to check the SNI against the current
vhost's certificate's subject CN and/or AltNames (for wildcard certs).
AIUI, the client should not reuse connections unless one of those matches.

Why wouldn't that work?

Regards,
Yann.