httpd-dev mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6/3.0
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 19:45:22 GMT
On May 27, 2015 9:46 AM, "Jeff Trawick" <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:42 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone else think it's time to EOL 2.2 and focus
>>> on 2.4 and the next gen? My thoughts are that http/2
>>> and mod_h2 will drive the trunk design efforts and so
>>> it would be nice to focus energy on 2.4 and later...
>>
>> People here focus their energy on whatever they want.  It takes a small
number of people to keep a stable branch going (technically 3, but in
practice a slightly higher number).  Instead of the group choosing EOL or
only-security-fixes-of-some-minimal-severity or something else for a stable
branch based on what many people think is interesting to them for whatever
reason, I think that the project should limit its concern to ensuring that
the community understands the state of the branch and that it is EOL-ed
when a sufficient number of people don't care.

> actually, "when a sufficient number of people don't care" is what I'm
arguing against :)  make that "when an insufficient number of people care"

+1, well thought out, aligns with the historical commentary (just some of
which I pointed out in the historical data points post)

>> What we need to know for the 2.2.x branch is basically this:
>>
>> Developers (committers or not):
>>
>> [ X ] I am willing to help resolve security issues in the 2.2.x branch.
>> [ X ] I am willing to help address non-security issues in the 2.2.x
branch.

>> PMC members:
>>
>> [ X ] I am willing to test and vote on proposed 2.2.x releases.

>> (This is not a call for vote; I'm suggesting a very different mindset
towards 2.2.x from "nice to focus energy on" and "time to EOL 2.2 and focus
on".)

(:  Glad that others felt free to respond to this as a poll.