httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Blackman <m...@exonetric.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6/3.0
Date Sat, 30 May 2015 21:43:16 GMT

> On 27 May 2015, at 13:54, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone else think it's time to EOL 2.2 and focus
> on 2.4 and the next gen? My thoughts are that http/2
> and mod_h2 will drive the trunk design efforts and so
> it would be nice to focus energy on 2.4 and later...

Depends on what EOL means practically, of course. As someone whose day job is engineering
the web platform for one of the big investment banks, I can tell you we only just got everyone
moved over to 2.2 (i.e. several years after 1.3 got canned in early 2010).

So while I’m not looking for the latest and greatest features in 2.2 at this stage, I do
want to continue to see bug fixes and security issues addressed for at least another five
years (ideally), and really 2 years at a minimum. I can easily see this might be asking too
much of volunteers, but those are my “enterprise” expectations.

- Mark