httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6/3.0
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 14:54:26 GMT
That makes most sense to me as well.

Besides all the non-optimal things I discuss in the internals paper, the numbers - of my very
limited measurements - show that mod_h2 is slightly less performant than plain httpd *if you
only have a single request/connection at a time*. If you have 2 requests ongoing you break
even or are slightly better. And then it grows up to 50% more requests/sec than with HTTP/1.1
(all measured over TLS). Of course this varies with resource size and such...

Since browsers will typically want to get quite some resources from the server for a page,
this should already in 2.4 bring benefit for everyone.

cheers, Stefan

> Am 28.05.2015 um 16:46 schrieb Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>:
>
> My thoughts are that we use mod_h2 as a guide to how to
> "better" implement things in trunk, but also allow for
> mod_h2 to also work w/ 2.4 as well... So there will be
> a 2.4 version of mod_h2 as well as a more significant
> "merging" of mod_h2/trunk/2.6/3.0.
>
>> On May 28, 2015, at 10:36 AM, Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 22:42 +0200, Stefan Eissing wrote:
>>> Not wanting to boast, but maybe mod_h2 for httpd 2.4 can play a role in motivating
people to migrate away from 2.2.

>> I've just looked at your "internals" page (which seems to me
>> an excellent piece of work), and it tends to support the gut
>> feeling that mod_h2 might be better targeting 2.6/3.0 than 2.4.
>> We should be joining forces to address the issues you've
>> encountered, from minor tweaks to core to more fundamental issues
>> like bucket alloc across threads (or a suitable alternative).
>>
>> Time for me to download and take a proper look at your work,
>> and put my money (or at least time&effort) where my mouth is!
>>
>> --
>> Nick Kew

<green/>bytes GmbH
Hafenweg 16, 48155 Münster, Germany