httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6/3.0
Date Thu, 28 May 2015 20:30:25 GMT

On 05/28/2015 03:54 PM, Jim Riggs wrote:
>> On 28 May 2015, at 14:30, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> In my experience, the only reason that php-fpm wasn't a solution for
>>> everyone is that it was poorly documented. We could still stand to do
>>> better there, but php-fpm is, in fact, a solution for everyone
>>
>> no, because it does not support "php_admin_flag" and "php_admin_value" inside of
<Directory> and so would require re-design environments with many hundrets of vhosts
running for many years that way with automatic deployment of such rules depending on the target
application

> Having to expend effort (e.g. re-design/update config and deployment) to switch/update/upgrade
to a new paradigm does not, IMO, mean that it's not a solution for everyone. Anyone can take
the time to implement and automate the switch. Once that effort has been spent, you should
have nearly the same (maybe better) setup, with hopefully better security and resource utilization
in many cases. All of those php_admin_* directives end up in a php-fpm conf file that can
easily be automatically updated and deployed.

> I'm certainly not saying that this work is trivial with many years of history, and it
may not be for everyone, but it is certainly possible for anyone.

> With fpm and mod_proxy_fcgi, I don't see myself ever using mod_php again, but that's
just me.

It would be worth providing a bash/perl/python script that one could
point at your config files and/or .htaccess files and poop out php-fpm
conf files as part of the documentation. The advantages of moving from
mod_php to php-fpm are not extolled enough.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon