httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Eissing <stefan.eiss...@greenbytes.de>
Subject Re: 2.2 and 2.4 and 2.6/3.0
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 20:42:09 GMT
Not wanting to boast, but maybe mod_h2 for httpd 2.4 can play a role in motivating people to
migrate away from 2.2.

I have not looked into having it work on 2.2 and no interest in doing so. If we get the ALPN
support into 2.4.13, mod_h2 can be just "dropped in" to such a server. And distros will have
an incentive to include it.

In what amount that might influence 2.2 migrations, probably no one can foretell. And I have
not the insight to what all others reasons for migration are, not knowing enough about the
differences myself. I just want to point out that it can be one selling point among others.

As to how to sell it: I have made some performance tests and published some numbers based
on my single dev installation. It could certainly help to get some more numbers in a more
real world like env to either have a story to tell - or find out what still needs to be done.

What is floating around in the net are numbers from eithers servers no one can install (google)
or servers that focus on http2 like h2o or nghttpd. But those are not general purpose servers,
serve often only static files and sometimes even fail under load. I'm not saying they are
bad implementations (far from it), there just not in the domain as httpd.

cheers, Stefan

> Am 27.05.2015 um 19:26 schrieb Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com>:
>
> one thing it means is having compelling stories involving the latest hot tech that use
2.4