httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Kurt Newman <kurt.new...@cpanel.net>
Subject Re: Version check idea
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:15:14 GMT

On Apr 23, 2015, at 7:50 AM, dev-digest-help@httpd.apache.org wrote:

> From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com>
> Subject: Version check idea
> Date: April 21, 2015 at 8:55:38 AM CDT
> To: httpd <dev@httpd.apache.org>
>

> For comment: What do people think about adding the capability that
> when httpd is started, it tries to access http://httpd.apache.org/doap.rdf
> to check its version number with the latest one referred to in that
> file and, if a newer one exists, it prints out a little message
> in the error.log (or stderr)...

I’m sure this has been said, but I don’t see a reason for this feature.
1. Most distributions purposely pin their Apache to older versions, then back-port their fixes
into it.  So they’re always going to be out-of-date.
2. I don’t see this as a necessity of a web server.  If this feature is necessary (for those
that build their own stacks), why not bundle a separate utility that performs the check.
3. This feature wouldn’t be terrible useful since the goal of a web server is to stay up.
 Checking at start-up seems counter-intuitive.