httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Version check idea
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2015 14:27:56 GMT
On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:00:05 +0200
Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org> wrote:

> On 21 Apr 2015, at 15:55, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> > For comment: What do people think about adding the capability that
> > when httpd is started, it tries to access http://httpd.apache.org/doap.rdf
> > to check its version number with the latest one referred to in that
> > file and, if a newer one exists, it prints out a little message
> > in the error.log (or stderr)…
>
> First reaction - Eek && Evil ! Breaks about every assumption I have about well
defined unix programmes.

> However if it where something like ‘httpd C / --configcheck’ or similarily for apachectl
then I could easily image that to be rather useful.

+1 (to Dirk).

Capability, OK.  Even, configuration option, perhaps
(that would allow packagers to reference their own URL).
But no way would I want it calling home in a default
startup behind my back!

Suggestion 1: make it a module.
Suggestion 2: consider something lighter-weight than RDF.
              e.g. an X-latest: header in our own server
              response to HEAD / .

--
Nick Kew