httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject apr_skiplist dependency
Date Sat, 07 Mar 2015 12:40:37 GMT
Looking back, I think that apr_skiplist wasn't ready for general use (both
doc and code) when it was put in APR and released, and at the same time it
was unfortunate that it placed a prereq on a new APR release in order to
use Event, introducing another speedbump to using httpd's latest and
greatest.

Looking forward, I see the same thing; apr_skiplist needs design changes to
supply what httpd needs, and doing so means extra work in APR to preserve
compatibility, as well as dependence of Event on a new APR release stream.
That's another speedbump that httpd 2.4 users don't need.

The best thing for httpd (Event) w.r.t. skiplist is the best thing for
apr_skiplist itself: for the codebase to evolve naturally to support this
important (primary, only???) consumer, without the constraints of APR
versioning rules and APR release cycles (and perhaps without the
constraints of any versioning rules).

Pull this small amount of code into httpd, perhaps as a private interface
for 1-2 modules that need it.  Let it improve with fewer constraints.
Future APR 2.0 will improve from the relatively unfettered changes, and
httpd 2.4 users won't have speedbumps introduced by dependence on an
evolving skiplist implementation.

(Keep the skiplist code in APR trunk up to date with changes needed for
httpd.  The APR stable releases can pick up compatible code fixes, but that
probably won't be a priority for anyone but non-httpd consumers, and I'm
not aware of any such people working on skiplist thus far.)

Thoughts?

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/