httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: apr_skiplist dependency
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 13:46:34 GMT
On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> On 07 Mar 2015, at 2:40 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Pull this small amount of code into httpd, perhaps as a private
> interface for 1-2 modules that need it.  Let it improve with fewer
> constraints.  Future APR 2.0 will improve from the relatively unfettered
> changes, and httpd 2.4 users won't have speedbumps introduced by dependence
> on an evolving skiplist implementation.
> >
> > (Keep the skiplist code in APR trunk up to date with changes needed for
> httpd.  The APR stable releases can pick up compatible code fixes, but that
> probably won't be a priority for anyone but non-httpd consumers, and I'm
> not aware of any such people working on skiplist thus far.)
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> We need to address the fact that a non compliant skiplist implementation
> exists in v1.x of APR. Skiplists are formally defined, and we are not doing
> APR users any favours by providing an API to end users that we know is
> broken.
>
> I think we must fix what we have in v1.x, following our versioning rules,
> and deprecate any broken behaviour.
>
> While I agree that making skiplist stable in httpd would have been
> helpful, we didn’t, and we can’t go back and change that now.

Why not?

However one positions the changes needed to APR 1.x to make its skiplist
implementation viable, they will still be constrained to some extent by APR
versioning rules, and the dependency on skiplist fixes/features and thus
new APR releases for Event will still introduce speedbumps for httpd users,
all in return for a small amount of code.  It isn't worth it IMO.  And it
is not helpful overall to APR in the long run IMO.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/