httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group <ruediger.pl...@vodafone.com>
Subject RE: apr_skiplist dependency
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 09:39:01 GMT
+1

Regards

Rüdiger

From: Jeff Trawick
Sent: Samstag, 7. März 2015 13:41
To: Apache HTTP Server Development List
Subject: apr_skiplist dependency

Looking back, I think that apr_skiplist wasn't ready for general use (both doc and code) when
it was put in APR and released, and at the same time it was unfortunate that it placed a prereq
on a new APR release in order to use Event, introducing another speedbump to using httpd's
latest and greatest.

Looking forward, I see the same thing; apr_skiplist needs design changes to supply what httpd
needs, and doing so means extra work in APR to preserve compatibility, as well as dependence
of Event on a new APR release stream.  That's another speedbump that httpd 2.4 users don't
need.

The best thing for httpd (Event) w.r.t. skiplist is the best thing for apr_skiplist itself:
for the codebase to evolve naturally to support this important (primary, only???) consumer,
without the constraints of APR versioning rules and APR release cycles (and perhaps without
the constraints of any versioning rules).

Pull this small amount of code into httpd, perhaps as a private interface for 1-2 modules
that need it.  Let it improve with fewer constraints.  Future APR 2.0 will improve from
the relatively unfettered changes, and httpd 2.4 users won't have speedbumps introduced by
dependence on an evolving skiplist implementation.

(Keep the skiplist code in APR trunk up to date with changes needed for httpd.  The APR stable
releases can pick up compatible code fixes, but that probably won't be a priority for anyone
but non-httpd consumers, and I'm not aware of any such people working on skiplist thus far.)

Thoughts?

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/