httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: apr_skiplist dependency
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 12:45:37 GMT
On 07 Mar 2015, at 2:40 PM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pull this small amount of code into httpd, perhaps as a private interface for 1-2 modules
that need it.  Let it improve with fewer constraints.  Future APR 2.0 will improve from the
relatively unfettered changes, and httpd 2.4 users won't have speedbumps introduced by dependence
on an evolving skiplist implementation.

> (Keep the skiplist code in APR trunk up to date with changes needed for httpd.  The APR
stable releases can pick up compatible code fixes, but that probably won't be a priority for
anyone but non-httpd consumers, and I'm not aware of any such people working on skiplist thus
far.)

> Thoughts?

We need to address the fact that a non compliant skiplist implementation exists in v1.x of
APR. Skiplists are formally defined, and we are not doing APR users any favours by providing
an API to end users that we know is broken.

I think we must fix what we have in v1.x, following our versioning rules, and deprecate any
broken behaviour.

While I agree that making skiplist stable in httpd would have been helpful, we didn’t, and
we can’t go back and change that now.

Regards,
Graham
—