httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Was there any concrete decision on apreq?
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2015 01:58:18 GMT
apreq is really both Graham, a httpd module and a library.But what I'd like to see is the apreq
stuff in the server'score put into a separate library and have either httpd orthe apreq module
link to it.
Unfortunately the existing build system for apreq is automakebased, and I don't have much
knowledge right now about howto build a dll from httpd's build system.  Other people do obviously,I
mean apr does it, it's just not something I immediately grok.

     On Sunday, March 8, 2015 11:48 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

 On 08 Mar 2015, at 9:11 AM, Joseph Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In a nutshell the long term goal has always been to get the c parts of apreq incorporated
into httpd distributions so the perl parts can ship with modperl.  This is still along those
lines.  In order to continue to expose the cool cgi code that Issac added to libapreq we
need to ensure there is an actual external library still when we ship with httpd otherwise
we lose the modular features we spent so much time designing as apreq would then be limited
to httpd modules only.  I'd like to see it serve the entire gamut of web apps including fast
cgi.  That's what my ongoing plans are for the httpd project.

+1.

For ages library functions for httpd have ended up in APR, but this isn’t ideal - APR is
a portability layer, and even though code is being accepted that “works with APR”, in
reality we really need a libhttpd library that can provide “web server like stuff” in
a proper true library form. Will certainly make tools in the “support” area of the httpd
tree easier to develop for, as none of the tools have access to httpd proper, and code must
be cut and pasted.

I don’t like that apreq as a loadable module, but I would love it as a proper shared library.

Same with the expressions code.

Regards,
Graham
—