httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <>
Subject Re: replacing Date header
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2015 08:35:31 GMT
On 17 Feb 2015, at 22:21, André Malo <> wrote:
> * Eric Covener wrote:
>> Java application servers like WebSphere and WebLogic provide Apache modules like
this.  I don't know how to address the "why", I just want to remove the special treatment
for mod_proxy / r->proxyreq and only set a Date if one wasn't provided by the handler.
 The user I was working with didn't fully understand how how his software re-used the value
in the Date header as sent in the handler.
> Uhm, I have no real idea about those, but are they not integrated with the proxy framework?
> However, I always saw this Date header handling as a way to enforce RFC compliance (e.g.
to overwrite Date-headers in mod_asis handlers and crappy backends). Wrong Date headers may
have a huge impact, as I see it. But then, maybe I'm overrating that.

So maybe the logic should be to preserve a Date: header iff it is compliant with the relevant
With this, modules that want a Date: header automatically added need only to ensure they don't
assert an apparently valid Date header.

Tim Bannister – +44 7980408788 –

View raw message