httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache httpd 2.4.12 as GA
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 00:49:57 GMT

On 27/01/2015 03:21, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Am 26.01.2015 um 14:14 schrieb Eric Covener:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:08 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote: svn diff
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.4.11 [1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.4.12
[2] | cdiff first one should be 2.4.10 (not that it turns up anything better) What about APR
changes?

I checked the logs of my about 1000 runs of the test suite with various
MPMs and log levels and on various platforms and did not find a single
entry with wrong timezone.

I also checked the access logs of the two ASF httpd instance which I had
updated to 2.4.12 yesterday. Those run on GMT timezone, so checking the
offset made no sense, but I was looking for timestamps which were out of
the expected range w.r.t. neighboring entries and their own duration.
For the www instance using the event MPM I could not find such entries.
For the mail-archives instance using the prefork MPM I found some
entries. For example two entries apparently logged at 01:02 but
containing a timestamp of 00:02. But the same process/connection had its
previous requests being handled at 00:02, so it seems the two requests
were somehow written delayed or finishing the request was delayed. The
request duration (%D) was small though.

The same observation holds for older versions, e.g. 2.4.10. I do find
such constellations there as well.

Would be interesting to know why it happens, but IMHO not a show-stopper
or a regression. At least not the cases on these instances.

But those only partially fit the pattern observed by Noel.

Regards,

Rainer

Agreed, it would be nice to know why and resolve it, but since its not
every entry, and so far only affects back end activities (logging), and
not anything on the public facing side, it shouldn't be overly serious
and should not be a reason to hold back 2.4.12 release unless somebody
tracks down the cause and finds it has other more serious ramifications.

Links:
------
[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.4.11
[2] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/tags/2.4.12