httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <minf...@sharp.fm>
Subject Re: [Patch] Simplifying mod_alias
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2014 14:41:25 GMT
On 21 Dec 2014, at 4:18 PM, André Malo <nd@perlig.de> wrote:

> I think, most of the directives are compatibility ones. IMHO the best way to
> handle a transition to a different configuration concept would be to
> introduce a new module (mod_alias_ng or mod_fs_map or so...) instead of
> patching the current one and producing a lot of anger (Alias* and Redirect*
> are often used in my experience, also in combination with proxy and rewrite
> stuff). Additionally this could serve as a kind of an A/B test to test your
> configuration (and see if people really like it, if anybody cares about
> that).

Just to clarify as I don’t think it has been made clear - none of the existing configurations
have been changed or altered in any way, they work exactly the same way as before.

What has changed is that the Alias/Redirect/ScriptAlias now work inside a Location with one
less argument. These combinations were rejected before with a syntax error.

This change brings Redirect/Alias/ScriptAlias in line with ProxyPass, and removes an arbitrary
difference in the way the directives work.

What we should do in future is remove all the *Match directives and move them into a mod_alias_compat
module, leaving just Alias/Redirect/ScriptAlias in mod_alias, same as we did with authnz in
httpd v2.4.

Regards,
Graham
—