httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Simplifying mod_alias
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:48:53 GMT
On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>> I am -1 on moving them to a _compat module. I don't see a technical
>> reason, there's nothing wrong with the current code or function, and I
>> think there has to be a stronger case to justify adding more upgrade
>> speedbumps.
>
> The primary purpose of the exercise was to formally bring expression support to Alias/Redirect/ScriptAlias
and avoid a need to use mod_rewrite for what should be easy and simple.

> I don’t follow the argument that there is no technical reason for the change - surely
support for the expression API is to be encouraged?

I don't see how adding expression or <Location> support as
necessitating, or benefiting in a meaningful way, from the deprecation
/ movement of the "other" directives.  I am assuming the *match
directives could either a) provide their own contexts for the
back-references to work or b) simply have their 2nd parameter
evaluated the way it is today.