httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Patch] Simplifying mod_alias
Date Wed, 31 Dec 2014 15:56:46 GMT
On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Graham Leggett <minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:
>> I don't think FilesMatch is enough functionally, because you're too
>> limited in what you can check and match.
>
> Can you clarify in more detail? If this is so, I am keen to fix it.

For a URL of http://example.com/foo/bar/baz.html

# this matches against baz.html only
<FilesMatch (.*\.html)$>
  Redirect http://other.example.com/$1
</FilesMatch

You would not have any way to match or capture some part of /foo/bar/.
  You could use the entire URL in an expression, but I think it would
be difficult to tease it apart, and even making it just conditional
would require something like wrapping in <if>.  I think there are some
big gaps in string-valued expressions, even if you do try to write a
sophisticated one (this has popped up for me in a handful of contexts
and I have flailed around in the grammar to no avail)