httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Riggs <apache-li...@riggs.me>
Subject Re: ApacheCon Austin, httpd track
Date Tue, 02 Dec 2014 21:14:40 GMT

On 1 Dec 2014, at 19:15, Daniel Ruggeri <DRuggeri@primary.net> wrote:
> Similarly, I'm always up for giving my proxy talk if it's welcome (after
> the first day since I can't make it until Tues). If we think proxy is a
> big topic, we ought to arrange for a general overview like my proxy talk
> followed by more specific deep dives such as what Jeff mentions here and
> a session on new sexiness like WebSockets.

Picking up on what Jeff and Daniel are saying, I think some focus on the powerful things mod_proxy_*
can do would be really useful.

One particular thought that has been in the back of my head for some time is a "Begone libphp5.so!"
talk. For better or worse, PHP is still around and will be for some time, but it is time to
get it out of the web server and treat it like the application/backend it is for both security
and resource-usage reasons. mod_proxy_fcgi + php-fpm is a really elegant, simple solution
to make this happen, but I have found a lot of devs and admins who just aren't even aware
of this configuration possibility. (I have explained it to several people at ApacheCon NAs
over the past couple of years.) I've actually been using a backported mod_proxy_fcgi in 2.2
for just this purpose for a few years in production.

That's certainly a talk I would be willing to give if there is interest.

P.S. mod_proxy_balancer -> mod_proxy_fcgi -> php-fpm is really fun and interesting too!
;-)