httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
Subject Re: [Patch] Simplifying mod_alias
Date Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:53:41 GMT

Am 22.12.2014 um 11:15 schrieb Graham Leggett:
> On 21 Dec 2014, at 10:48 PM, Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't see how adding expression or <Location> support as
>> necessitating, or benefiting in a meaningful way, from the deprecation
>> / movement of the "other" directives.  I am assuming the *match
>> directives could either a) provide their own contexts for the
>> back-references to work or b) simply have their 2nd parameter
>> evaluated the way it is today.
>
> The expression support is a superset of the regex support, making the regex support redundant.
>
> The *Match parameters are self contained, you cannot make a backreference outside the
scope of that single directive. In contrast the LocationMatch/DirectoryMatch sections are
not self contained, their backreferences are exposed to expressions and can be used and reused
in many unrelated directives.

> I have heard growing criticism of httpd for being too complicated, and this is an attempt
to address that. Supporting 7 directives to do the job of just 3 makes people’s eyes bleed.

> The aim of the _compat module is to ensure that existing users are not left in the lurch,
they load the compat module and life continues as before. We already have clear precedence
of this working well - major changes occurred between httpd v2.2 and v2.4 in authnz and this
passed by without any notable problems.

as user i will tell you something about the "without any notable
problems": if you use the new directives in the main configuration and
somewhere below (vhost or even .htaccess) compat directives you get
undefined behavior

been there done that

the result was rewrite *900 vhost configs* on a lot of machines using
mod_version and test that over weeks to have a uninterrupted upgrade
path - please don't pretend such changes are nice for users at all

they are only nice for the few users which don't really matter with
their httpd and a single vhost on a notebook but not on serious setups
where admins are not overwheelmed with 7 directives

frankly even for hobby users it's a problem because in the future you
need to take care if the new hoster supports the compat-module and how
to deal with .htaccess files in case you copy things to different hosts
with different confogurtaions and httpd versions