httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: mod_proxy_fcgi issues
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2014 20:38:23 GMT
On 2014-12-04 13:27, Eric Covener wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Jim Riggs <apache-lists@riggs.me> wrote:
>> This all may certainly be true, but I just for clarity's sake (since it was my quote
that started this new mod_proxy_fcgi thread), my mod_proxy_balancer -> mod_proxy_fcgi ->
php-fpm issue is NOT an httpd issue...at least that is not how I have treated it. It is actually
a code fix I have had to make in PHP to get it to work.
> [...] It doesn't seem that usable values for these things should be so unique to php-fpm.

My experience has been that the PHP FPM SAPI function
init_request_info() in sapi/fpm/fpm/fpm_main.c, which I think was
originally copied from the CGI SAPI, is very old code that goes to great
lengths to preserve old, not always standards-compliant behavior in
order to avoid breaking backward compatibilities. Hence, I'm not
convinced that the things Eric refers to above might not be unique to
php-fpm.

After struggling to get php-fpm working with mod_proxy_fcgi, I
eventually completely rewrote the whole init_request_info function the
way I thought it "should be" without any regards to backwards
compatibility; this solved the problems I was having.

If memory serves (it's been a few years) the main problems I was
encountering were with serving the index file for directories and
correct handling of PATH_INFO.

I've attached the patch I'm using (a completely new version of the
init_request_info function) in case anyone wants to either play with it
or compare it to the code that PHP currently uses.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org