httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commercial support
Date Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:14:04 GMT
On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Victor J. Orlikowski <
victor.j.orlikowski@alumni.duke.edu> wrote:

> On Nov 21, 2014, at 9:01 AM, Jeff Trawick <trawick@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> * oh, and make it possible for 90% of the potential user base to be
> running 2.4.latest in several minutes without possibly interfering with
> existing software; user guide material (above) must support having the
> user's own application deployed behind httpd a few minutes later
>

> The “new hotness” making something like this possible, on Linux and OS X
> at least, is Docker.
> Here’s the Dockerfile in github:
> https://github.com/docker-library/docs/tree/master/httpd
>
> The “deploy X application, according to how the developers spelled it out,
> isolated from host OS environment” scenario has been pretty much captured
> and owned by the Docker folks; they’ve done a masterful job of it.

Cool stuff.  I can see the "Here's my application, give me a Docker file
that runs it using httpd-latest." path being very easy on the user with
Docker and relatively easy on the binary provider.  (Unfortunately I don't
know nearly enough about the way Docker can be used to understand all the
implications for the user around software upgrades and managing their
configurations and applications.)

> Best,
> Victor
> --