httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Victor J. Orlikowski" <victor.j.orlikow...@alumni.duke.edu>
Subject Re: commercial support
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:26:18 GMT
On Nov 23, 2014, at 10:10 AM, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:

> Again, you're focusing on the packages, but not on configuration
> changes, which I think is what Jeff was trying to point out to begin
> with.  I'm pretty sure that there's even a .spec file somewhere that the
> project used to maintain, and possibly still does.
>
> The package upgrade is easy, but non-backwards-compatible changes, like
> the historic ones between 1.3 and 2.0, and the recent ones between
> 2.0/2.2 and 2.4 are the hard part.

So - that’s been my focus, if only because Jeff mentioned the idea of wanting to get a new
user up-to-speed quickly with 2.4, and mentioned earlier the issues of running into pre-installed
headers, etc. being a source of pain and spurious bug reports.

I will *absolutely* agree with you about the configuration changes, as I’ve had folks working
with me run head on into them.
Perhaps a tool to scan an existing configuration (single file or directory structure) and
flag potential problems is in order?

Best,
Victor
--