httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Christophe JAILLET <christophe.jail...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: Why does .indent.pro not really resemble our style?
Date Sat, 04 Oct 2014 06:57:23 GMT
Le 01/07/2014 02:54, Eric Covener a écrit :
> Why does .indent.pro all over the tree not really resemble our style
> too closely?  If I re-indent any file, lots of stuff is changed (*
> operator, any struct, etc).    A good example is mod_setenvif.c

According to http://httpd.apache.org/dev/styleguide.html, only -nut
seems to be missing. Without it, spaces are turned into tabs.

In order to have less "* operator" changes, -T apparently needs to be
used. I added -Tapr_pool_t in .indent.pro in modules/metadata and it
removed a few of them.
But IMHO, having to manage manually the list of these -T would be a
nightmare.

Moreover, most of the directories don't have .indent.pro file.
I've found only 17.

Finally, changes made by indent are not always accurate. Options should
maybe be tweaked to get a slightly better output but manual review of
changes is still needed.

In order to ease the use of indent all over the tree, we could:
     - remove .indent.pro files
     - keep only one in the root directory, add the missing -nut (and
tweak it with some useful -T entries)
     - document how to use |INDENT_PROFILE for users that want to use
indent, OR
      that the .indent.pro file has to be copied in their home directory

CJ