httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Yann Ylavic <ylavic....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Listeners buckets and duplication w/ and w/o SO_REUSEPORT on trunk
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2014 17:33:34 GMT
Hi Yingqi,

I'm working on it currently, will commit soon.

Regards,
Yann.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 6:20 PM, Lu, Yingqi <yingqi.lu@intel.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just want to check if there is any feedback/comments on this?
>
> For details, please refer to Yann Ylavic's notes and my responses below.
>
> Thanks,
> Yingqi

MPM. It supposes to address following issues regarding to SO_RESUEPORT support vs. current
trunk version:

> 1. Same as current trunk version implementation, when active_CPU_num <= 8 or when
so_reuseport is not supported by the kernel, ap_num_buckets is set to 1. In any case, there
is 1 dedicated listener per bucket.

> 2. Remove global variables (mpm_listen, enable_default_listeners and num_buckets). mpm_listen
is changed to MPM local. enabled_default_listener is completely removed. num_buckets is changed
to MPM local (ap_num_buckets). I rename have_so_reuseport to ap_have_so_reuseport. The reason
for keeping that global is because this variable is being used by ap_log_common(). Based on
the feedback here, I think it may not be a good idea to change the function interface.

> 3. Change ap_duplicated_listener to have more parameters. This function is being called
from MPM local (prefork.c/worker.c/event.c/eventopt.c). In this function, prefork_listener
(or worker_listener/even_listener/etc) array will be initialized and be set value. ap_num_buckets
is also calculated inside this function. In addition, this version solves the issue with "one_process"
case (current trunk version has issue with one_process enabled).

> 4. Change ap_close_listener() back to previous (2.4.X version).
>
> 5. Change dummy_connection back to previous (2.4.X version).
>
> 6. Add ap_close_duplicated_listeners(). This is called from mpms when stopping httpd.
>
> 7. Add ap_close_child_listener(). When listener_thread (child process in prefork) exit,
only the dedicated listener needs to be closed (the rest are already being closed in child_main
when the child process starts).

> 8. Remove duplication of listener when ap_num_buckets = 1 or without SO_REUSEPORT support
(ap_num_buckets = 1). With so_reuseport, only duplicated (ap_num_buckets - 1) listeners (1
less duplication less current trunk implementation).

> 9. Inside each mpm, move child_bucket, child_pod and child_mutex (worker/prefork only)
to a struct. Also, add member bucket to the same struct.

> Please review and let me know your feedback.
>
> Thanks,
> Yingqi

coordinate with the variable naming conversion. We should do something with ap_prefixed? Is
there anything else I should consider when I rename the variable?

>> Maybe defining new functions with more arguments (to be used by the
>> existing ones with NULL or default values) is a better alternative.
>
> For example, ap_duplicate_listeners could be modified to provide mpm_listen and even
do the computation of num_buckets and provide it (this is not an API change since it is trunk
only for now).

> ap_close_listeners() could be then restored as before (work on ap_listeners only) and
ap_close_duplicated_listeners(mpm_listen) be introduced and used in the MPMs instead.

> Hence ap_listen_rec *mpm_listeners could be MPM local, which would then call ap_duplicate_listeners(...,
&mpm_listeners, &num_buckets) and ap_close_duplicated_listeners(mpm_listeners)

> That's just a quick thought...
>

>> Please be aware that existing AP_DECLAREd functions API must not change though.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Yann.
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Yingqi

my fault since I asked for the patch to be splitted in two for a better understanding (finally
the SO_REUSEPORT patch only has been commited).
>>> The fact is that without SO_REUSEPORT, this serves nothing, and we'd better use
one listener per bucket (as originally proposed), or a single bucket with no duplication (as
before) if the performance gains do not worth it.
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Also, there is no opt-in/out for this functionalities, nor a way to configure
number of buckets ratio wrt number of CPUs (cores).
>>> For example, SO_REUSEPORT also exists on *BSD, but I doubt it would work as expected
since IFAICT this not the same thing as in Linux (DragonFly's implementation seems to be closed
to Linux' one though).
>>> Yet, the dynamic setsockopt() check will also succeed on BSD, and the functionality
be enabled.
>>> So opt in (my preference) or out?
>>>
>>> Finally, some global variables (not even ap_ prefixed) are used to communicate
between listen.c and the MPM. This helps not breaking the API, but this is trunk...
>>> I guess we can fix it, this is just a (self or anyone's) reminder :)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Yann.