httpd-dev mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject bug report : Mangled emails from dev-digest
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:43:37 GMT
Dear ezmlm,

(I don't quite know how this message is going to make it through, due to the very
substance of the message).

I have been wondering why in the dev-digest emails, the names of some unfortunate
contributors always appear mangled.  I am talking e.g. of our friend Rüdiger Plüm
(and any other name containing non-us-ascii or non-iso-8859-1 characters).

It seems that the deep-down reason is something amiss in the email software which composes

these messages. (Yes, that's probably you, ezmlm).

Below the line below, are the saved-to-disk headers and beginning of one of the latest
emails received from the dev-digest list.
This is a multipart message, and the first part indicates a character set of "us-ascii".
But that appears to be false, because as it arrives, Rüdiger's name (and others) are
obviously Unicode, UTF-8 encoded.

Thus the unsuspecting and RFC-respecting email client program, displays his name as if it

was us-ascii, and it comes out as "81372 by: Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group".
(And I would bet that Rüdiger added this Vodafone Group qualifier, in frustration at never

seeing his name printed right).

For a community like Apache open to many esteemed international contributors and
distributing software used across the whole world, it is somewhat embarassing that it
cannot spell contributors' names correctly in broadcast emails.

Best regards
(name witheld, as it also contains some of the to-be-mangled characters)