httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Revisiting: xml2enc, mod_proxy_html and content compression
Date Tue, 11 Feb 2014 17:03:04 GMT

On 6 Feb 2014, at 09:40, Ewald Dieterich wrote:

> Thanks for the patch!
>
> On 02/05/2014 02:57 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
>>
>> The hesitation is because I've been wanting to review the
>> patch before committing, and round tuits are in woefully
>> short supply.  So I'm attaching it here.  I'll take any feedback
>> from you or other users as a substitute for my own review,
>> and commit if it works for you without glitches.
>
> Minor glitch: the patch doesn't compile because it uses the unknown variable cfg in xml2enc_ffunc().

Damn.  That may mean it's a "wrong" version of the patch.  At least incomplete.
Thanks for picking that up.

> Otherwise it works as advertised.

That's good to hear.

> My wishlist:
>
> * Make the configuration option as powerful as the compiled in fallback so that you can
configure eg. "contains xml". But how would you do that? Support regular expressions?

Nice thought.  Perhaps the expression parser would be the ideal solution?

> * Provide a configuration option to blacklist content types so that you can use the defaults
that are compiled in but exclude specific types from processing (this is how I work around
the Sharepoint problem, I simply exclude content type "multipart/related").

Perhaps combined with the expression parser as a 'magic' clause that
expands to the default?

${markup-types}

[Thomas Eckert]

> Doesn't
>
> +    else {
> +        /* default - only act if starts-with "text/" or contains "xml" */
> +        wanted = !strncmp(ctype, "text/", 5) || strstr(ctype, "xml");
> +    }
>
> suffer from the same problem as the original code ?

That *is* the old behaviour, and keeps back-compatibility for the majority
of users who are fine with that.  If the default doesn't work for you then just
set something else!

What do you think of using the expression parser to determine whether to run?

--
Nick Kew