httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net>
Subject Re: Revisiting: xml2enc, mod_proxy_html and content compression
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2014 13:57:24 GMT
On 5 Jan 2014, at 02:21, Nick Kew wrote:

> IIRC the OP wants to decompress such contents and run them through mod_proxy_html.  I
don't think that works with any sane setup: running non-HTML content-types through proxy_html
will always be an at-your-own-risk hack.

I've believed for a while that the right way to address this is for httpd to support gzip
Transfer-Encoding which is always hop-by-hop and applies to the transfer rather than the entity
being transferred. For this scenario, it could look like this:

[Client] ⇦ gzip content-encoding ⇦ [transforming reverse proxy] ⇦ gzip,chunked transfer-encodings
⇦ [origin server]

(I'm assuming that the client doesn't negotiate gzip transfer encoding)

Of course, this still won't help with a badly-configured origin server.

--
Tim Bannister – isoma@jellybaby.net