httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <n...@webthing.com>
Subject Re: Revisiting: xml2enc, mod_proxy_html and content compression
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2014 00:20:25 GMT

On 3 Jan 2014, at 13:39, Thomas Eckert wrote:

>  This does not solve the problem regarding .gz files however. They still suffer from
a double-compression.

AFAICT that's only when the backend sends compressed contents but
fails to declare the content-encoding?

> Using the above patch/configuration we could either
>   1) patch mod_deflate to bail out when it sees a .gz file
> or
>   2) patch mod_proxy_html (in the above mentioned section) to bail out if it sees a .gz
file.
> I cannot think of a situation where we would actually want to "HTTP compress" a .gz file.
There might also be other formats then gzip invovled - at least the RFC allows for them, though
I've only seen gzip in the wild. For there two reasons I would to with 1).

I don't think we can do any of those those: we'd be breaking HTTP.
Any solution to your issue has to be configurable and not a default.

I'd say any such fix must lie in adding a compression-sniffing option
to mod_deflate:
  - let the inflate filter sniff for compressed contents
  - let the deflate filter sniff for already-compressed contents
even if the headers fail to declare it.

An option with big "at your own risk" warnings.

--
Nick Kew